HMRC Statutory Demand

A Statutory Demand can be served on you whether you are a company or a individual where a creditor has a claim against you and it is often the case HMRC present statutory demands against individuals. If HMRC have sent you a statutory demand for an unpaid tax debt, you should seek legal advice immediately because if you miss the deadline to apply to set aside the statutory demand, HMRC will be able to petition for your bankruptcy.

Will I be able to challenge a Statutory demand from HMRC?

If HMRC have served a statutory demand on you have the right to apply to court to set aside the statutory demand ( (pursuant to rule 10.4 of the Insolvency Rules 2016). However usually in 18 days you must act to avoid HMRC applying to bankrupt you if you owe  £5,000 or more.

When do I make an application to set aside a Statutory demand from HMRC?

When a Statutory demand has been served within 18 days an application to set aside the demand must be made from the date the statutory demand was served. This is important as it essentially shows whether it the demand from HMRC served validly.

If I was served a statutory demand from HMRC could it still be set aside outside the time limit?

The advice would always be to adhere to the deadline and apply to have the statutory demand set aside within the 18 day window as far as practicable.

However, the Court may consider an application to set aside a statutory demand outside the time limit (note: this discretion only applies if the creditor has not requested for a bankruptcy petition to be issued yet). It is imperative to seek legal advice as soon as a statutory demand is served upon you otherwise you may not be able to set aside the statutory demand in time.

What if I am liable for the debt for HMRC’s statutory demand?

If you agree that the debt is due, tax debtors in that situation may wish to instruct a solicitor experienced in insolvency to negotiate a settlement plan with the creditor (or their solicitor if they have legal representation).

It is important to try and negotiate a settlement plan within the 21 day statutory demand period, some options to consider are (note: these options do not constitute legal advice):

  • instalment plan;
  • consider refinancing or a bridging loan;
  • offer a voluntary charge against your property to secure the debt;
  • obtain a personal guarantee from a relative or friend;
  • negotiate a reduction in the debt to less than £5,000 (therefore the creditor will then not be able to issue a bankruptcy petition); or
  • apply for an individual voluntary arrangement (to agree an arrangement to pay your debt in instalments over a defined time period).

How do I apply to have a statutory demand set aside?

1. Ascertain the reason why the statutory demand should be set aside

The Court can set aside a statutory demand if any of the following reasons apply (pursuant to rule 10.5(5), Insolvency Rules 2016):

  • the tax debtor appears to have a counterclaim, set-off or cross demand which equals or exceeds the amount of the debt specified in the statutory demand;
  • the tax debt is disputed on grounds which appear to the court to be substantial i.e. you believe that HMRC’s tax assessment is factually wrong;
  • it appears that HMRC holds some security in relation to the debt claimed by the demand, and either rule 10.1(9) is not complied with in relation to it, or the court is satisfied that the value of the security equals or exceeds the full amount of the debt; or
  • the court is satisfied, on other grounds, that the demand ought to be set aside.

The Court will also consider other reasons to set aside a statutory demand including: the statutory demand has not been issued in the correct manner, you owe less than £5,000 or you have a legal defence to court action being taken against you.

2. Find the right court

The statutory demand should contain the information about where and how an application can be made to set aside the statutory demand. For example, if the statutory demand is from HMRC and the demand states that the petition will be presented in the High Court, then an application to set aside the statutory demand should be made at the High Court.

3. Complete application form IAA

You can download a word version template Form IAA here. Guidance notes can be found here.

It is important to seek legal advice when completing Form IAA because all relevant information must be included such as the grounds for dismissing the statutory demand, the date you became aware of the statutory demand and copies of the demand and any evidence which you have sought to rely on.

4. Draft a witness statement in support of the application

Depending on the facts of your case, a witness statement can be submitted to the Court in support of the application.

Legal advice should be sought when drafting the witness statement, guidance notes on the Civil Procedure Rules states that a witness statement must:

  1. start with the name of the case and the claim number;
  2. state the full name and address of the witness;
  3. set out the witness’s evidence clearly in numbered paragraphs on numbered pages;
  4. end with this paragraph:  ‘I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true.’ and
  5. be signed by the witness and dated.

Meet our Expert Bankruptcy Lawyers

We specialise in personal insolvency dispute litigation. We’re a specialist City of London law firm made up of Solicitors & Barristers. We are based in the legal heart of London in Middle Temple next to the Royal Courts of Justice (where the Central London County Court (Bankruptcy) is based). We’re experts in dealing with matters surrounding personal insolvency including issuing and setting aside statutory demands, issuing and opposing bankruptcy petitions; and managing bankruptcy applications (including annulments).

Whilst we are based in London we provide national coverage across all Courts in England & Wales. We provide a quick no cost initial telephone case review to establish whether or not we can help you; just call one of our team on 02071830529.

Call Now ButtonCall Now search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close